Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Spring Hike

 Allison loves taking walks in the woods so we're trying to get some hiking adventures in this spring.  We're starting with some easy 'hikes' (it may be a stretch to call this a hike!) and then we have plans for later in the summer & fall for some bigger hikes with Allison. 
 Last Sunday we 'hiked' the Woodlands trail in Peavey Arboretum.  Allison & Mark had to stop and read each sign that we found.  I think Allison was the most animated about the sign that had a skunk on it!

 And she loved reviewing the map!

 And I'm hoping to track down a field guide for wildflowers in Oregon so I can figure out what the flowers are that we see.  Allison loves seeing the flowers and was disappointed that we couldn't pick them.  She was really good about staying on the trail, too, Mark gave her a stern warning about poison oak in this area.
 I am pretty sure this is a wild Iris - at least I know that much.  And I can spot the poison oak!  Well, at least I think I can.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I don't know where to find a flower field guide, but your first picture is a trillium and the last picture is a wild columbine. Your hiking adventures sound like fun!

Joani said...

Thanks Hannah! I had no idea that was wild columbine - all of the wild columbine I've seen has been red (in Alaska). I couldn't really bend over very well to see it, though since Heidi was in the Beco carrier!