Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Bonfire that was Rained Out

For the third year in a row we managed to visit my friend, Naomi, and her family for dinner while we were in Alaska. I requested more dogs - and she was happy to acquiesce to my request! Unfortunately it rained that evening after being clear most of the day. We were a bit disappointed but made do. Mark & Joel finished up the roasting by themselves (and I think Joel even heated up a few more inside).



The kids did get to play outside for a little while. I think Allison was really disappointed she didn't get to play longer, there were lots of fun yard toys to explore.

Eventually Allison & Theo (4 months apart) decided they were tired of playing in the rain and wanted to come in. Like any good mother I ran to get my camera and take a picture before letting them in. They were confused to say the least. Mark was even more confused as he watched them incessantly knock on the door from his vantage point at the fire. At least we have another picture to document them as 2-year-olds!

And I'm sharing this picture because I have no pictures of my time with my friend, Carrie, who happens to be one of the best photographers around. We spent our morning checking out thrift stores for photo props. At one store we found a fabulous stash of mugs and between the two of us we bought most of them. This little yellow mug was left all alone on the shelf, then. So Carrie told me I needed to buy it and fill it with flowers for Naomi. My Mom actually filled it with left-over wedding flowers and I thought it turned out quite pretty. If only there were a Bishop's Attic in Oregon for me to go explore. Of course it wouldn't be nearly as fun without Carrie along (and I wouldn't end up buying vintage wall paper! But that is another story!).

1 comment:

Naomi said...

That was a fun night! And I've used my yellow mug for flowers at least a couple times since then.