Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Balance Bike Babe

Last summer, while my Dad was in town we first saw balance bikes at our favorite local bike shop. Since then we've gone back several times to see if Allison was big enough to ride one. Gradually she got taller and finally, when my Dad was in town, it was time to go get one!I still remember my first trip to a bike store to buy my very first bike, a silver Schwinn dirt bike! It was a special day. As I was growing up every bike that was purchased for me meant a trip to Anchorage with Dad to try out bikes. It was pretty fun to have my Dad along to go get Allison's first bike (even though she probably won't remember the day!). My parents also bought the bike - Allison's birthday present! Pretty special!
She rode the bike out of the store and to the car but once we got home she wasn't particularly excited about it. She would have rather gone for a ride in her Chariot. But we didn't give up.

We took the bike with us pretty much everywhere we went for a whole week. Some days, like the one above, she wasn't particularly thrilled to be riding. She'd rather be looking for ducks!

But she loved 'working' on her bike! Just like Grr (my Dad) did in the garage. On this morning (above) Dad & Mom were getting ready for a ride into town and Allison was sure she was going along. She got her helmet on and pumped up her tires. She was disappointed when they rode off without her. Perhaps that is what she needed, though, because later that day, when we met up with my parents at the park she had her first 'good' ride. Just her and Grr hanging out in the park with no agenda and she gradually got on and started taking longer steps.

By the time her birthday party rolled around she was riding with confidence. She was quite the show off for Nana and Papa. There is nothing quite like a 2-year-old with a tu-tu on a spiffy balance bike!

And by the time my parents left Allison was quite the pro. She still hasn't learned to pull her feet up and just 'ride' but she sits back, puts her weight on the seat and takes long strides. It is only a matter of time before she'll be flying. Until she stops to wave. Or drops down to investigate a troop of ants. In the meantime we should get better at putting her helmet on her!

No comments: