Thursday, February 9, 2012

Finished in 2012 No. 3

So far I'm having a great quilting year in 2012! Too great according to the household Budget Committee ;). I will be focusing on quilts I already have fabric for in the coming months thanks to the Budget Committee's input! I put this quilt together really quickly - following a very simple tutorial (this is a great quilt pattern for a beginner if anyone is ever interested in getting started in quilting!). This quilt is made using primarily the Riley Blake 'So Sophie' line - with a few other fabrics thrown in. My friend, Leslie & I found this fabric in Seattle and we bought 1/4 yard cuts of all of the fabrics in the top and cut them in half - so we each could make a quilt top.
I proudly informed the Budget Committee (Mark) that this was probably the most economical quilt I had ever made - since I was able to buy 1/8 yard cuts for the top the top only cost $12.50. I bought the backing & binding fabric from the sale section at my local quilt shop for $12.00 (1.5 yards at 20% off). I pieced the Warm & Natural batting from scraps and used a beautiful variegated purple & green thread I had on hand for the quilting. So yes, an entire quilt for less than $25. The Budget Committee was very proud of me. This just goes to show quilting can be done economically!
This quilt is intended for a friend of mine who had a baby girl back in November (the baby was born very early and just recently arrived home). I'm kinda assuming she doesn't read this blog, otherwise I probably should not have shared how much I spent!

No comments: