Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Finished in 2012 No. 2

I finished yet another quilt in January - this one for my friend Claire's baby girl. I had planned to use a different set of fabrics for this one but when I walked into the quilt store to buy fabric this line had just arrived. It was designed by someone local, too, which made it extra special. It was perfect for my friend, Claire, nice and cheery and slightly girly without being over the top. And I loved the colors, especially since this little girl will eventually be sharing a room with her big brother Benjamin.
This quilt is called a string quilt. I looked up several ideas / tutorials online but the one I ended up referring to the most was this one. I love the scrappy look of the quilt (even though it is using entirely coordinated fabric). And it wasn't all that difficult. The blocks can be a bit time consuming as you have to iron each strip before you can sew the next one and I could only really work on one block at a time - that meant a lot of trips to the ironing board. But it was definitely worth it. I hope to use up some scraps this way someday!
I used my favorite fabrics for the back. the blue print is just so cheerful. And I went ahead and did another biased cut binding on this one. It really added the perfect finishing touch.
And if you can believe it we actually had a beautiful & sunny day in January so I was able to take these pictures outside at our park! And it just so happened that the future owner of this quilt showed up at the park that day - so I took her picture inside her Mom's tummy! We get a little crazy when the sun decides to show up around here.

No comments: