Monday, January 30, 2012

Finished in 2012 No. 1

This is the first quilt I have finished in 2012 - even though it was mostly done in 2011. I gave the quilt top to Mark's Mom for Christmas and then took it back. It went to a professional quilter in early January to be finished. I was really happy with the result. This quilt is made using a double hourglass block (I used this tutorial here) and a set of fat quarters from the Moda 'Etchings' fabric line that I picked up at the Sisters Quilt shop on a girls' weekend. I love how this one came together although I have to admit the blocks do take quite a bit a time. They aren't difficult they just require being cut individually with templates and trimming to make all the points line up just right.
I should note that I learned something on this quilt - the points where four blocks are sewn together ended up very thick and I needed to have trimmed them down....the quilter broke a needle at one of the points and that put a small hole in the quilt. She fixed the top and patched the back. I'm working on 'signing' my quilt for the very first time to cover the patch. Next time I think I'll save myself the trouble and make sure I trim the corners!

No comments: