Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May Garden Update

 Our little family garden has been growing profusely in the month of May.  I planted lettuce, kale & spinach seedlings along with onions and a tomato plant back in April.  We've been eating lots of leafy green vegetables as a result.  We're working hard to keep up with the kale, lettuce & spinach - most of which are eaten in salads or in green smoothies.  I also planted spinach & carrot seeds along with some potatoes - all of which have sprouted recently.  It is really fun to see the tiny plants popping up (or not so tiny in the case of the potatoes).  I still have one square left and plan to plant some lettuce seeds for a later harvest when I get around to it.
 Allison's little potted garden from her 'Little Sprouts' club is doing fantastic.  We've been eating the lettuce from it for some time now.  We need to find a better place to put it so the peas have somewhere to go.  And the onions are looking really big!
 Kale has been our most prolific crop so far.  I've found a good recipe for 'shocking' it and then sautéing it with olive oil, garlic & crushed red pepper flakes.  It turns out pretty tasty.  I've been surprised at how hydrophobic it is, too (yes, I know I'm a nerd for calling it hydrophobic but I couldn't think of another word to describe how water balls up on it and rolls right off!). 
I documented this moment....I have become one of those mothers who makes and serves homemade kale popsicles made with homegrown kale to my daughter.  I feel very granola-ish.  But hey, she likes them and they are good for her!

No comments: