Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Kitchen Helper

This is my little kitchen helper.  She has learned to ask to lick the beaters every time I make something.  In this case she's licking the cream layer of Nanaimo bars.  That is some seriously yummy stuff - made of butter, heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla pudding mix.  And I would like to add that these weren't just any Nanaimo bars - these were gluten free ones.  I found gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, used unsweetened coconut flakes and this Nanaimo bar recipe and they turned out pretty amazing.  And I think I earned the Wife of the Year Award for making them - Mark has really enjoyed them.  After some health issues this fall (some of which landed him in the urgent care) Mark had some blood work done and although he doesn't qualify for Celiac's disease his doctor recommended he go gluten-free.  Mark started his new diet back in November and has been feeling oh so much better ever since.  He's taking a few other supplements (Vitamin D, a probiotic & fish oil) and we've made some other changes - all of which have helped as well.  We haven't found it too challenging to change our diet - and Allison & I are still able to indulge in our favorite treats - but Mark has missed a few things.  So Nanaimo bars were a big hit!

No comments: