Monday, May 7, 2012

Finished in 2012 No. 5

 I have had a quilt top sitting in my sewing cabinet since last August.  I started it, intending to give it to my friend, Ramie, since she didn't know whether she was having a baby girl or baby boy.  Then she had a baby girl and I decided she needed something girlie so I whipped up a really quick girl blanket and stashed this quilt top away.  I pulled it out and decided to finish it before starting on any new quilts.  This is a raw edge circle (technically oval!) quilt.  I originally intended to make circles, quartered down the center but the elephant print was too big, I didn't want to cut it that much.  I followed this tutorial to make this quilt (I wish I had a stash big enough to make a quilt like that!).  I decided to quilt it with ovals mimicking the pattern.  It was much harder than I thought it would be and I won't be trying that again anytime soon.  So, I no long have an unfinished quilt top waiting in my sewing cabinet, I have a full-fledged quilt waiting for a baby boy or someone who doesn't know if they are having a boy or girl......can't wait!
 Now that the elephants quilt is done I've moved onto the project I was saving - a new quilt for Allison's big girl bed.  I'm using a variety of Amy Butler fabrics for this one and very excited to get sewing!  Hopefully I'll be posting more on this quilt soon!

 And I thought I had entirely given up on 'Block of the Month' quilts but then I found a free one online - using all half-square-triangles.  I found some Fandango fabric in the sale section at my local quilt store and have been enjoying making one of these blocks each month.  So far I've managed to complete each block in the given month.  Hoping I can make it to December!

No comments: