Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sewing with Sophie

 My oldest niece, Sophie, happened to be over while I was finishing up a quilt for my newest niece, Lauren.  Sophie decided she wanted to take up quilting herself and went fabric shopping with her Grandma.  My brother-in-law Tim cut her fat quarters down into squares (without using a rotary cutter - it was impressive) and then Sophie came over for a morning of sewing.  She was most excited that I let her use my iron all by herself.  Who knows what is going to be the most exciting for an almost 8-year-old?
 She used my sewing machine by herself, too, I just adjusted the speed to be slow.  We had some rows that had to be pinned together and she navigated the foot pedal and simultaneously pulling out the pins pretty well.

 And the finished quilt top.  She needs to come back soon so we can put it together with batting and a back!
 And Allison was not to be left out of the quilting!  She played with kid scissors, my box of scraps, card stock and a glue stick for most of the morning!  Glad she's enjoying 'quilting' young, too!

No comments: