Thursday, December 24, 2015

December in Europe

I had a trip to Europe last week for work....it wasn't the best timing but there are some aspects that were nice - including some downtime in our first stop - Switzerland.  We spent a day wandering around Zurich - which was all decked out for Christmas.  There were little 'villages' all over the city selling homemade goods (including gingerbread houses like below).

 I also found a building with a big Bernina sign - I'm assuming that it was the headquarters.
 We stayed in Fribourg for our visit - above was the view from my hotel room.  Below are some parts of the old town we visited.





 After work our we managed to visit the Swiss Alps for a little walk in the snow.

 We also went to Le Guyere for dinner - a beautiful village in a castle.  Fondue and a local treat of meringues with double cream and fresh berries.  I also had this as part of my breakfast!

 I also found several references to Heidi on our trip - including a 'Heidi Breakfast' at the Zurich airport.
 Our next stop was London - we had one evening to explore the town.  We went to a carol singing at St. Margaret's Church (the church at Westminster Abbey) and walked around Parliament.


 We went through Paddington Station several times - and saw several different Paddington Bear statues but this is the only one I took a picture of.
 Our final stop was Dublin - by this stage I was too busy and too wiped out to do much of anything touristy.  I did find the amount of holiday decoration on the food to be pretty fun!  The donuts above are pretty fabulous.  And below is Grafton Street - where we went to get dinner on our last night - quite the shopping district and it was packed for the Friday before Christmas.


No comments: