Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ireland

 I spent last week in Ireland for a work trip.  I really don't think it would be possible to have more fun on a work trip (although I am so glad to be home!!).  I arrived early on a Sunday morning, flying into the Shannon airport on the west side of Ireland.  I had all day to get to my hotel so I took the scenic route and stopped by the Cliffs of Mohr.  This is the viewing tower there.



 And I ate breakfast while it started to rain outside.  Thankfully it was dry while I was there but it was cold, so I bought myself a wool hat in the gift shop!  I spent 3 days on the west part of the island in the countryside at a factory doing a software install.  It was beautiful there, lots of rock walls/fences with sheep, cows, ponies and donkeys all over.  Unfortunately the roads were very narrow without pull-outs so I never managed to capture a picture of the countryside.
 Midway through the week I moved closer to Dublin to our plant there.  I arrived on Wednesday which was a stormy sort of day so I only went out for a short walk to explore my new hotel, the Carton House (above).  It was beautiful, I felt very pampered staying there!


 Oh, and I found this gingerbread muffin on my way back from the western coast.  It was pretty yummy and very cute!
 The foxes around the HP site in Ireland are very, very lazy.  As seen by the number of bunny rabbits on the site.  There was a massive herd of bunnies.  They were very cute.  And everywhere.  Apparently my Irish colleagues don't even notice them anymore!
 I had to take a picture of my hotel room.  it was one of the nicer rooms I've ever stayed in.  
 My friend, Roberta, was in Ireland the week before me and recommended a restaurant in downtown Maynooth, near where we were staying.  we made it one night and I had this fabulous roast lamb shank for dinner.  It was tasty.
 I also drank a LOT of Irish tea while I was there.  One of my coworkers sent me home with a big box.  We'll see how long it lasts!
 And I had this huge tower of profiteroles (cream puffs) for dessert.  They were very yummy. 
 On my last day I managed to have some time while it was still daylight to do the 3 km walk around the Carton House grounds (there are two separate golf courses with two different walking trails exploring the grounds).  The grounds were beautiful!  And it was a nice afternoon with the sun actually peeking through!  I really wish Mark could have come along and played some golf.


 And on Friday night before I flew out we went to downtown Dublin for dinner and a few other things, including a visit to the General Post Office.  I mailed a post card home to Allison from the original post box.  I beat the post card home, though!

I had a great time and would love to go back, but not without my family!  It was definitely an easy country to be a tourist in.  And of course, it helps that I have some great co-workers / friends that made the time as enjoyable as one could expect from a work trip.  And I have to mention that Mark did an amazing job holding down the fort while I was gone - especially considering both girls had a case of pink eye while I was gone!

No comments: