Friday, October 5, 2012

Finished in 2012 No. 8

 Some very good friends of ours are in the process of adopting a baby boy.  I saw this quilt in pictures from the quilt market back in 2011 showcasing the Children at Play fabric.  I had a lot of the fabric left-over from my nephew Logan's quilt so I decided this would make a perfect baby boy quilt for my friends.  Especially considering the Dad has a PhD in mechanical engineering after studying fluidics.....and yes, a paper airplane is a perfect demonstration of fluidics.  I actually quilted this one by myself.  I tried to mimic the paper airplane swirls and I was definitely better at the bottom than when I started at the top.  I also actually hand embroidered the lines behind the paper airplane, too.  My one disappointment was in the applique work.  I followed the pattern instructions and tried to fold the edge under and found that very difficult to do at the corners.  The applique is secure but some fraying will be visible.  Next time I'll stick to my usual methods of applique.  The tutorial for this one can be found on Michael Miller's fabric blog here
 I used some more extra fabric to cover mats from some frames and I really like how they turned out, I may have to make more of these (the frames are actually really nice frames made by a local frame shop so the mats are very sturdy and held up well to having fabric glued to them using normal fabric glue).  I also have a 'paper' airplane mobile in progress, pictures of that sometime soon, hopefully!  And the baby's grandmother made some fabulous crib sheets and a diaper bag to match the quilt - it is going to be an adorable nursery.  Hopefully I'll get pictures of it all when it is put together.
Oh yes, and I had a very special little princess supervising my picture taking for these quilts.  I won Mom of the Year award for buying that Sleeping Beauty dress at Target.  Her Cinderella dress was literally in shreds so I figured it was time for a new one with Halloween coming up.

No comments: