Thursday, February 7, 2008

Orange Bread


I have been eating at least one orange a day for the last two weeks or so. They are just so good this time of year. I was saving my orange peels in the freezer for quite awhile to make an old favorite treat of mine, Orange Bread. I had to get the recipe from my Mom, and it was a bit more complex than I had thought, but the result was worth it! Here is the recipe if you want to try it (note: you can make enough Candied Orange Peel at one time to make several loaves of bread and just freeze it in 1 c portions).


Orange Bread
1 c. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Egg
1 c. Milk
3 c. Flour
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 c. Candied Orange Peel (below)


Mix & bake in loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (My Mom is the queen of concise recipe instructions).


Candied Orange Peel


Shred orange peel in a food chopper (I use a food processor and my Mom uses the Kitchen Aid fine chopper attachement, and it works well if they are slightly frozen). Cover with water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then pour off water. Repeat two more times. Take equal parts of orange peel and sugar. Boil down (until thick and sticky), then cool and store. Freezes well.

2 comments:

Dani said...

Joani, this looks yummy and its perfect because I have a cup of candied orange peel in the fridge and I wasn't sure what to do with it! Thanks, I'll let you know what I think after I make it :-)

Anonymous said...

This looks delish. I'm gonna have to snatch this recipe also. :)